Old 19-07-2011, 06:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default ping Nad R & Billy

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

I have read around twenty of Robert Heilen's books. Stranger in a Strange
Land is an excellent read. I have read well over four hundred science
fiction books.

i couldn't guess how many i've read.
probably in the thousands. i used to
read several science fiction books a week
along with the other reading i would do.
when i went to the library i would come
home with one or two old fashioned paper
bags full of books... i'm pretty sure that
Piers Anthony, Orson Scott Card and Asimov
have several hundred books between them,
add Clarke, Webber, Dickson, Heinlein,
Saberhagen, Herbert (and now son), Jordan,
Kurtz, Lackey, Pohl, Forward, Sterling,

my collection was mostly sold off when
i moved from up north. i was very close
to moving across country and didn't want
to haul all of those boxes with me.

However, after looking at my collect, I have not read one book by Alaster
Reynolds. The author will soon be on my purchase list. My current read is
"www: wonder by Robert J. Sawyer" it is a blah read second book of three.

i've not really liked much of his writing --
sadly as the topics are interesting. i've
enjoyed McDevitts work much more so.

Before that a couple of Jack McDevitt books was ok not bad. The last
excellent read was "The Windup Girl by Paoplo Bacigalupi". Next up would
have to be "Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge", I have not been disappointed by
any of Vinges books.

yes, True Names, the Fire Upon the Deep, and a Deepness in
the Sky are worth the reads.

being a techie and interested in AI i've
always liked any books that are about how
computers/robots try to take over the world
or are misunderstood. and first contact
stories too. i had a nice collection of
these kinds along with the cyberpunk
authors, but then sold them all off.

But soon to have Alaster Reynolds part of my collection.

i would skip his most recent short
work. as that was perhaps the weakest
of the lot.

A little shower outside right now... It is not much, perhaps a bucket in
each of my rain barrels. But better than nothing. First rain here in two
weeks, past storms kept on missing me.

just a short bit of rain here too.
storms usually weaken or split when
they get to us as this is the valley.