Old 19-07-2011, 06:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne Suzanne is offline

Default Tomatoes have flowers but no fruit

This happened with my Green Zebras last year, and is happening with my Paul
Robesons this year. Tons of big fluffy yellow flowers, and then nothing.
Just little dried bits where the flowers used to be. Not a single fruit.

I live in southern Utah, zone 7 or 8. Daytime temps are currently around
90-100F. Direct sunshine during most of the daylight hours. The tomatoes
are planted in raised beds with a mix of my native clay soil and some
commercial potting soil. I water them fairly deeply every three days or so.
I gently tap the plants every few days to help pollinate the flowers. I
have applied no fertilizers to the plants, but they have a thin layer of
dead grass (cut after it was dead) as mulch underneath. They are planted in
the same bed as beans (there were no beads in the Green Zebra bed last year,
though).

Other varieties of tomatoes seem to be fruiting okay, in similar growing
conditions.

Can someone tell me what is going on, and if there is a way to get them to
fruit?
--S.