Old 19-07-2011, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default ping Nad R & Billy

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message news:Wildbilly- "FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

I've been low-carbing.

Pffff!!! I'm no fan of such a thing. I believe we have a mix of food
available to us and that we shoudl partake. The only 'evidence' I've seen
relating to low-carb looks quite like quackerie TMWOT.

In my case I'm a "Type II" diabetic. If I want to keep my organism, I'm
required to keep my blood glucose low.

For a close (if somewhat overwhelming) look at low carbing, see
"Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science
of Diet and Health" (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...ce/dp/14000334
62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102831&sr=1-1

p.194
Anything that raises blood sugar - in particular, the consumption of
refined and easily digestible carbohydrates - will increase the
generation of oxidants and free radicals; it will increase the rate of
oxidative stress and glycation,and the formation and accumulation of
advanced glycation end products. This means that anything that raises
blood sugar, by the logic of the carbohydrate hypothesis, will lead to
more atherosclerosis and heart disease, more vascular disorders, and a
pace of accelerated degeneration, even in those of us who never become
diabetic.

Trying to keep my blood sugar down but last night
I cracked, and we had our first pasta primavera (été) of the season. God
it was good. Whole wheat pasta, tomatoes, sweet peppers, scallions,
basil, garlic, & lemon zest with olive oil as the sauce, accompanied
with a side order of sautéed zucchini. The basil, peppers, and zucchini
where from the garden. Good stuff, and will only get gooder as the
garden progresses.

Atta boy! That's good food.

Finished the pasta last night with our first harvest of green beans.

otherwise. Stuff like how low the poundage of lamb eaten in the US in a
year (1LB/person/year which astonished me)

Likewise, I've never gotten used to the flavor of lamb. The best I've
had came with a strong soy sauce glaze. It covered the flavor. But I'm
no gourmet, I don't like the taste of salmon either.

I love a good lamb cutlet. TMWOT, it's straight from the culinary Gods. It
makes a good steak pale into insignificance IMO. But more lamb for me if
you don't like it :-))

That would be about as useful as boobs on a budgerigar TMWOT.

Careful, "boobs" hold an exalted and sacred position in my pantheon of
desires. You, the proud owner of a pair, my not share my fascination

Absolutely not. Useless things once their biological function is done
with - need medical tests that cost money or otherwise they can just
possibly go cancerous and kill one.

Have you read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series? If not, I
strongly
recommend all 20 and a half books in the series (or is that 21 and half
books??). Best author I have ever had the pleasure to read.

The New York Times book list seems to like him too.

Master and Commander requested from our library (and from Netflix).

I do warn of a possible serius addiction resulting. I have no interest
whatsoever in the British navy, the Napoleonic wars, The war againt the US
in about 1812(???) or any of the other subject matter in these books but I
was hooked from about p50. Wonderful English prose - pity I can't find
someone else who writes as well.

joy the cinema, but it is my "Lovey-poo" who enjoys reading the
"who-done-it"s. I read little fiction, and often that is junk sci-fi.

Good sci-fi is well worth the effort but junk s-f gives me the irrits. I've
just read Terry Nation's "The survivors" and although a simple little book,
it was a blast from the long distant past and enormously satisfying.

(It keeps my eyes moving, but I don't have to think about it much.) When
I'm not reading who-why-what-when-and-where documentary kinds of things,
I find solace from a series on haiku by R.H. Blyth
http://www.ralphmag.org/haikuP.html

V. nice. I do like Japanese verse about platns and gardens - can never
rember the exact words but wonderful nevertheless. One fave is; 'the
morning glory twines around the well bucket, so I lack water'.

Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature I am
a stranger in a strange land.

All literature is probably strange in it's own way :-))

We picked up our first load of firewood yesterday. Three more loads to
go.

The brushwood,
Though cut for fuel,
Is beginning to bud.
- Boncho
--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.