Old 19-07-2011, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default ping Nad R & Billy

Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature
I am a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

songbird

I have read around twenty of Robert Heilen's books. Stranger in a
Strange Land is an excellent read. I have read well over four hundred
science fiction books.

I read SIASL when I was about 20 and thought it was a hoot. I re-read it a
few years ago and found it very dated. The "shocking" parts no longer have
any shock and while I understand the parody of American religion much better
now it isn't as funny. Heinlein never wrote great prose like (for example)
Card. Apparently the original version was somewhat censored by the
publisher and Heinlein's estate published the full version a few years ago,
possibly in an effort to put some punch into it.

David