Old 20-07-2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default ping Nad R & Billy

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Nad R wrote:
songbird wrote:
Billy wrote:
Thanks again for the tips, and advice. When it comes to literature
I am a stranger in a strange land.

for science fiction that does get
you wondering again try Alastair Reynolds
(almost everything he's written i have
enjoyed).

songbird

I have read around twenty of Robert Heilen's books. Stranger in a
Strange Land is an excellent read. I have read well over four hundred
science fiction books.

I read SIASL when I was about 20 and thought it was a hoot. I re-read it
a few years ago and found it very dated. The "shocking" parts no longer
have any shock and while I understand the parody of American religion
much better now it isn't as funny. Heinlein never wrote great prose like
(for example) Card. Apparently the original version was somewhat
censored by the publisher and Heinlein's estate published the full
version a few years ago, possibly in an effort to put some punch into it.

David

I read and have the original version. I suppose gay marriages in the past
was a shocker and people that saw someone with tattoos all over their body
may no longer have that shocker value. But the beauty of it, he was way
ahead of time.

The same with "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" the insight of computers and
Artificial Intelligence theories he talks about when people were still
using slide rules in those days.

An amazing writer.

I do remember you stated that you were a founding member of a Heinlein fan
club?