Old 20-07-2011, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default ping Nad R & Billy

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Billy" wrote in message news:Wildbilly-
"FarmI"
ask@itshall be given wrote:

I've been low-carbing.

Pffff!!! I'm no fan of such a thing. I believe we have a mix of food
available to us and that we shoudl partake. The only 'evidence' I've
seen
relating to low-carb looks quite like quackerie TMWOT.

In my case I'm a "Type II" diabetic. If I want to keep my organism, I'm
required to keep my blood glucose low.

You certainly have good reason to know exactly what you are eating with that
condition. Most low-carb proponents I've seen on usenet, don't have a
similar reason.

For a close (if somewhat overwhelming) look at low carbing, see
"Good Calories, Bad Calories: Fats, Carbs, and the Controversial Science
of Diet and Health" (Vintage)
by Gary Taubes
http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-...ce/dp/14000334
62/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271102831&sr=1-1

p.194
Anything that raises blood sugar - in particular, the consumption of
refined and easily digestible carbohydrates

'refined and easily digestible' indeed, but what about complex
carbohydrates? Surely anyone with Type II would know to stay away from
simple carbohydrates and know all about the complex carbohydrates. I note
that the snippet you've quoted mentions nothing whatsoever about the latter
so I'd hope it appears later in that cite.

If I ever end up with Type II diabetes, the first thing I'd do would be to
buy myself a decent grain mill. I've recently been toying with the idea
because of the wonderful taste that freshly ground wheat gives to my bread -
one forgets that wheat has a great taste until you get really good freshly
ground flour. Perhaps I should convince myself it'd be a godo preventative
investment.

Enriched flour is interesting. Some 40 nutrients are removed from the
flour, and 5 are added back and it's called enriched.

p. 96
White flour's low protein, vitamins, and mineral content made it "less
liable than whole meal flour to infestations by beetles and the
depredations of rodents", as Sir Stanley Davidson and Reginald Passmore
observed in their textbook Human Nutrition and Dietetics (1963).

- will increase the
generation of oxidants and free radicals; it will increase the rate of
oxidative stress and glycation,and the formation and accumulation of
advanced glycation end products. This means that anything that raises
blood sugar, by the logic of the carbohydrate hypothesis, will lead to
more atherosclerosis and heart disease, more vascular disorders, and a
pace of accelerated degeneration, even in those of us who never become
diabetic.

All literature is probably strange in it's own way :-))

We picked up our first load of firewood yesterday. Three more loads to
go.

I hope I don't need any more loads this season - it seems to have been
rather cold to date.

It's the Spring here, that eats up most of our firewood.

Gotta get my work here done. The grape harvest is coming up soon (with
any luck at all) so I need to get my house work finished.

The brushwood,
Though cut for fuel,
Is beginning to bud.
- Boncho

:-))

--
- Billy
America is not broke. The country is awash in wealth and cash.

You put Lloyd Blankfein in pound-me-in-the-ass prison for one six-month term, and all this bullshit would stop, all over Wall Street. That's all it would take. Just once.