Old 20-07-2011, 08:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Peppermint Patootie Peppermint Patootie is offline

Default Recommendation for strawberry protection

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Juniper wrote:
I have some strawberry plants, and the birds keep beating me to the
berries.

Can someone recommend a kind of netting to use to keep them out? What
size holes? You know what I mean --- the intersteces between the
intersections or whatever. My grandmother used to drape old curtains
over the blueberry bushes, but these are strawberries, and the sun and
rain need to get through.

Thanks for any help!

Priscilla

I use galvanised weldmesh. It is a wire mesh in a square pattern welded at
each junction that is much stiffer than chicken or bird wire so it can stand
on its own without a frame. I use a 12mm (1/2 in) mesh. It keeps out birds
quite well, horses not so much.

Thanks. I don't have much problem with horses poaching off my berries.
;-)

Priscilla
- Chris Malcolm