Old 21-07-2011, 07:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Conservatives run amuck, Michigan Woman Faces 93 Days in Jail for Planting a Vegetable Garden

"Nad R" wrote in message
Benny Fishhole wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 20:29:36 -0500, Jeff M
wrote:

On 7/20/2011 8:20 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
"Leroy N. wrote in message
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011..._jail_planting
_veggie_garden.php

It just doesn't get more ridiculous than this.

Julie Bass of Oak Park, Michigan -- a mother of 6, law-abiding
citizen,
and gardener -- is facing 93 days in jail after being charged with a
misdemeanor.

Her crime? Planting a vegetable garden in the front yard.

Nothing whatsoever liberal about this. Draconian punishments for
trivial
offenses is a conservative policy. For all the bleeting about freedom,
the
right would see all of us in a prison or at least very close to one.

Charges were dropped.

Good. I'd hardly call planting a vegetable garden "running amuck".

I am not sure, I believe one should obey the rules of the community in
which they live. If one lives in the suburbs I can see having rules
against
owning horses or goats and ordinances for keeping a nice lawn.

There are very valid health reasons for having rules against keeping horses
or pigs or poultry, but having rules for keeping "a nice lawn"? That is
simply about control and restriction of choice.

It can
devaluate the neighbors home.

I'd pay more for a place with a decent dry garden rather than a 'nice lawn'.

If one lives in a condominium, try even
having a tomato plant on the back patio without having the associations
approval. I can see where the majority wants a certain look and feel to a
community. If that person wants to do otherwise they should move somewhere
else.

That is one building so TMWOT it's a bit of a stretch to call it a
'community'. It's hardly community minded to whine or have rules about a
person having one tomato plant on their deck.

In the country where I live there are no such ordinances. I do not even
have to mow my lawn and I can have old rusted out cars on my front lawn
and
no one would say or do anything about it.

Well that soudns much better than living some place where anal retentives
waffle on about 'nice lawns'.