Old 21-07-2011, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Conservatives run amuck, Michigan Woman Faces 93 Days in Jail for Planting a Vegetable Garden

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Nad R

So, freedom only belongs to the landed (wealthy)? This may square with
the reality of American history, but certainly not its ideals.

Now that is an interesting thought. I would have to say that is probably
true. Those that live in a congested areas probably does have extra rules
in order to live with each other. In the boondocks who cares. My little dog
barks half the night on the back deck, the dog comes and goes as he
pleases. In the city I would be buried in tickets for disturbing the Peace.

But I will also say, it is a choice, one can have a home in country with
acreage for the same price for a nice home in the city. The city has many
conveniences that country life does not and same goes for the country. The
city life has more entertainment options, the country has it better gardens
and animal options.

Communities where there are elderly only no kids... Each
community with their own flavor, some with grass lawns only. Choose your
home, choose your lifestyle.

Some have accused homeowners associations of selective enforcement of
these rules, making a case only when it is something (or someone)
another person dislikes. Breaking a rule, even unintentionally, can
bring fines or even a lien on the home. In extreme cases, a homeowners'
association may file a lawsuit against an owner who violates the
covenants or even foreclose the property.

My Uncle that lives in a condo does nothing that changes the look of the
area. I have a hard time finding his home, I go there twice a month to
visit. They all look alike, they all even have the same white rocking chair
porch furniture.

When I was a kid. I use to ride my bicycle through Oak Park Michigan to get
the Americana Theater. Nice city forty years ago. Today If you ride your
bike there... Pedal Fast if you want to keep your bike.

Where does this come from, and how does it fit into the discussion?
Crime changes with time. When there was a large middle class, middle
class ethics motivated people. As the middle class disappears, we are
left with the ethics of the upper and lower classes who know you only
get what you can take.

In the original posted article, the woman that faced 93 days in jail was
from Oak Park, Michigan that had that vegetable garden in her front yard.
The neighboring city was my childhood stomping ground. I do not know that
person or home, but I am familiar with that neighborhood. The last time I
rode my bike there, I was chased by a gang of black kids wanting my nice
$800 road bike around the 1970's. Paper Routes paid better than one thinks
in those days