Old 21-07-2011, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adam Funk[_3_] Adam Funk[_3_] is offline

Default sweet woodruff

On 2011-07-21, wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

They most probably aren't! The toxicity is such that there is no
significant danger from any realistic intake, according to that
reference. If you avoid all such compounds, you would have to give
up almost all spices and herbs, and more.

Nutmeg, for example.

And then there's the background behind the ban on absinthe in the
early C.20.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...i/Jean_Lanfray

Yes. I haven't checked up properly, but my impression is that
the coumarin in woodruff is much less dangerous than those - say,
comparable to the toxins in chillis, thyme, ordinary pepper or
non-cassia cinnamon.

Oh man, everything's going to kill us. The Daily Mail was right!