Old 21-07-2011, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Water Lily problems

On Jul 21, 12:48*pm, "john wesley" wrote:
About a month ago we bought a pond lily: Nymphaea Marliacea Alblda in
aquatic compost of 100% clay granules it said on the packet.

The instructions were to remove fish put lily in pond and wait util the
water clears, then replace fish.

Since its difficult to find a place for the gold fish we left them in the
pond (or more accurately a large water storage tank about 4' x 4' x 5') and
put the lily in a large bucket (with a couple of goldfish to eat the worms
that are eating the leaves) and we occaisionaly run water through it to
clear the water, which is still going very cloudy.

Having just read the packet again more carefully it says *not* to change the
water to get rid of the cloudiness and let it clear naturally.

What causes this cloudiness ? *And we wonder why we are still getting it a
month later. Grateful for any suggestions as to what we should do next.
Thanks.

Goldfish, being carp, love to dig in the soil. You have to put stones
on top of the container soil to prevent this.
Bigger stone for bigger fish.

You will probably get green algae too. Caused by nitrogen from the
fish crap. You need a water treatment sytem to clear this.