Old 21-07-2011, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
Steve B[_6_] Steve B[_6_] is offline

Default Weeping Willow Planting Question

"David E. Ross" wrote in message
On 7/21/11 12:31 PM, Suzie-Q wrote:
I'd like to plant a weeping willow tree in my front
yard for shade. I live in central Texas, zone 8.
Is now a bad time to plant a weeping willow? Some of
the websites I've visited won't ship until November,
but I'd really like to plant as soon as possible.
I'm just concerned about the plant's health if I
plant now.

Can someone please advise?

Thanks in advance,

Find a local nursery (you may have to go to more than one) who knows botany.
They can tell you in a second. We have a MONSTER, and just lost a smaller
one. Prune it early so that it grows up rather than becoming a dense bush.
We have ours pruned out, its center hollowed out, and it is a popular "fort"
for our grandkids, with its pruned entrance, blocked seating underneath, and
absolute shade in a hot environment.

Good luck.

Steve