Old 22-07-2011, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Weeping Willow Planting Question

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 14:31:20 -0500, Suzie-Q wrote:

I'd like to plant a weeping willow tree in my front
yard for shade. I live in central Texas, zone 8.
Is now a bad time to plant a weeping willow? Some of
the websites I've visited won't ship until November,
but I'd really like to plant as soon as possible.
I'm just concerned about the plant's health if I
plant now.

Can someone please advise?

I don't advise a weeping willow for a shade tree in a typical front
yard, especially not in central Tx. Weeping willow trees don't do
well in poor soil in a dry climate, however in a relatively wet spot,
stream/lake side, they will thrive, but so will the mosquitos, you
will not be enjoying the shade of a weeping willow tree. A well
maintained weeping willow tree in a proper setting while still young
makes a nice specimen tree but they do not make for a shade tree that
one can enjoy. Planted in a dry location they do not thrive and
become a very straggly/messy nuisance. Even under the best of
conditions weeping willow trees are weak wooded and lose entire limbs
as they age, they also don't fare well in windy locations. Weeping
willows are great wetlands trees but I were you I'd reconsider your
choice of a shade tree.