Old 22-07-2011, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Conservatives run amuck, Michigan Woman Faces 93 Days in Jail for Planting a Vegetable Garden

"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

That is one building so TMWOT it's a bit of a stretch to call it a
'community'. It's hardly community minded to whine or have rules
about
person having one tomato plant on their deck.

Do not bet on that one... It depends on the association. Some
condominiums
have very strict rules. Such places are nice for the elderly and those
with
a busy city lifestyle.

I'm quite sure there are places which say they are a 'community' and have
extremely strict rules. That does not meant hat they have any idea
whatsoever of what 'community' means.

In the country where I live there are no such ordinances. I do not
even
have to mow my lawn and I can have old rusted out cars on my front
lawn
and
no one would say or do anything about it.

Well that soudns much better than living some place where anal
retentives
waffle on about 'nice lawns'.

The US has different kinds of communities and I believe those that are
like
minded should have them.

Segregation and apartheid works just like that.

If I remember reading many years ago that Australia had a White Only
immigration policy. Is that true of today's Australia?

Yep, but they were cleverer than calling it that. It was implemented by a
'Dictation test'. Language of test not specified so if anyone of dusky hue
who was not wanted applied, they could be given a test in any language. If
they did happen to be of a dusky hue but wanted for some reason, then they
would/could of course be given the Dictation test in their native language
thus guaranteeing admission to our hallowed shores. But we don't have such
a thing these day. These days we're not so fussy about colour - except for
poor sods who risk life and limb try to come here on boats after paying
people smugglers.

In the US it is illegal to prevent any person of color from living where
they want. When they get there they may or not have restrictions on the
look of there area they live in. Grass only front lawns, height of
antennas, RVs in driveways... That kind of restrictions, not who may move
in.

You missed the point. Segregation and apartheid were specifically based on
skin colour but just because those rules you mention may (note the use of
the word 'may') have nothing whatsoever to do with colour, that sort of
mindset that was the source of being discriminatory or controlling or
restrictive or unwelcoming etc etc, is exactly the same. "We don't want
your sort round here". "That sort" might just be someone who wants to grow
vegetables, but once you start that sort of silly rule, where do you end?

I can certainly understand rules relating to health and safety issues such
as those relating to barking dogs, keeping poultry or horses or playing
music for more than an short time each day or at excessive noise levels, but
growing tomatoes on a deck or in front yard or an insistence on having a
'nice lawn'????