Old 22-07-2011, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens
j[_2_] j[_2_] is offline

Default Mandevilla

On 7/22/2011 1:11 AM, Steve B wrote:
wrote in message
I was at the Home Despot and picked up a Sun Parasol Mandevilla. It was
big and $10.

Since I'm in Atlanta, 7b, and freezing temps are not uncommon, I'm going
to either bring it in or enjoy it for the season.

How far can you cut these back, and how much light will it need to
overwinter?

I suppose I need to build a trellis now. I wonder if I've just given
myself a problem I don't need!

Somehow, I got rid of all my honeysuckle, I didn't think that was
possible!

Jeff

My wife bought four nice sized ones at $15 per. Nursery lady said they may
be marginal in our area, but my wife assured her that she was wrong. We'll
see. They are a nice looking plant, very healthy and established, and
should do well on the fence. I just hope they make the winter. We have
some cold spells here. Must get them planted soon so they have a good shot
at making it through the winter.

Steve in XXtreme SW Utah, 3700' elev.

I just looked up the weather for St George. I'm sending you a dozen eggs
to fry on the sidewalk!

The cold hardiness I see listed is 30F. Good luck with yours and
we'll catch up next spring.

Jeff