Old 23-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Fitty Fitty is offline
Registered User

Location: Halifax WRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
Fitty wrote:

The height of that wall is unimportant, what's the height of your
sapling, how old is it? If it's less than three years old move it
now. First prepare a new home. Next water your sapling well so it's
easy to dig and so an earth ball will hold together. Dig it up
carefully with a large earth ball and place it on a piece of burlap
and lift the entire thing into a bucket for easy transport. Bring it
to its new home and plant it a little higher than the depth it was
growing. Mix organic matter with the fill soil and fill the hole in
loosely (do not tamp the fill). Water well and tap the sapling to
release any air bubbles. I don't know where you live but I would
fence it to keep the critters from having it for a midnight snack.
Keep it moist but don't drown it, plant roots need to breathe. By
transplanting now it will be well established by winter. Of course
odds are you will be planted before that tree produces nuts.
Thanks for the advice, We live in Yorkshire, UK. I'm going to transplant it about 20/30ft from where it is now at the top of the garden, the growing conditions there will be roughly the same as where it is at the moment but a little more sunnier (not having the cover of the Monkey Puzzle tree). Not sure about digging it up with a good root ball though as it's so near the wall that the roots will have by now grown through the walls backfill but i can only give it a try. It's got 2 choices really, live or die but i wanted to give it the best possible means to live and thrive