Old 23-07-2011, 06:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Mandevilla

On Jul 22, 9:24*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
"j" wrote in message

On 7/22/2011 1:11 AM, Steve B wrote:
*wrote in message
* *I was at the Home Despot and picked up a Sun Parasol Mandevilla. It
was
big and $10.

* *Since I'm in Atlanta, 7b, and freezing temps are not uncommon, I'm
going
to either bring it in or enjoy it for the season.

* *How far can you cut these back, and how much light will it need to
overwinter?

* *I suppose I need to build a trellis now. I wonder if I've just given
myself a problem I don't need!

* *Somehow, I got rid of all my honeysuckle, I didn't think that was
possible!

* *Jeff

My wife bought four nice sized ones at $15 per. *Nursery lady said they
may
be marginal in our area, but my wife assured her that she was wrong.
We'll
see. *They are a nice looking plant, very healthy and established, and
should do well on the fence. *I just hope they make the winter. *We have
some cold spells here. *Must get them planted soon so they have a good
shot
at making it through the winter.

Steve in XXtreme SW Utah, 3700' elev.

I just looked up the weather for St George. I'm sending you a dozen eggs
to fry on the sidewalk!

* The cold hardiness I see listed is 30F. Good luck with yours and we'll
catch up next spring.

* Jeff

Where I am at, we get down in the teens, sometime single digits with 30 mph
north winds or more.

I don't understand it. *My wife said they would grow.

Steve

Mandevilla, in my experience -- and I am in a mild Mediterranean area
-- is very finicky. I tried it a few times, then gave up, and now
trying again. So in an area that gets frost -- I dunno...

HB