Old 23-07-2011, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default You KNOW it's too darned hot when...

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"Nad R" wrote in message
Chris wrote:
/teacher mode

A. You cannot touch the cast iron railing around your deck
B. The standing water in your hose is hotter than your shower
C. You cannot step on the metal steps of your deck barefoot
D. All of the above

/teacher mode

Chris

Too hot to walk barefoot on my wood deck, 98 yesterday, last night was
nice
72 for the low and I slept well without the air running and windows open
during the night. Today expected to have a high around 93 Fahrenheit.

Tomatoes seem to go no where, my cucumbers are growing like gangbusters in
this hot weather. Leaf lettuce bolting, green beans seem to suffer, corn
needs more rain badly. Lawn is scraggly and dry needle like on the
footsies

Indoors, lots of baking with the air on, humidity is low in the house so I
think a pan fudge, fresh bread and peach cobbler is on the order for the
day. Too hot outside for grilling, I'll burn my little toes off on my back
deck. So Chicken and Dumplings with the peach cobbler sounds good to me
and
therefore I won't be loosing any weight soon.

Shoes and old age just does not go well with me anymore

'air on'???? What's with this 'air on' biz?

Air conditioning
The temps you've mentioned
means it hasn't hit the ton yet.

Cobbler isn't too bad, only takes 20 min. Make it in the afternoon when
things start to cool down and you can open all the windows. At least
that's what I do, but my low tonight is 52F. Charlie Underlog, and Bill
Who Putters are looking at 72F for a low tonight. Makes me faint to
think of it, and I sleep next to an open window, which, thanks to my
diuretic, I'm awake enough to close when it gets too cool at night.

And that list of food is winter fare IMO. Here, when it does get hot,
summer food is BBQ or cold meats or grilled meat (broiled in USian think)
and salads - nothing at all that requires the oven to be on. Dessert is
fruit salad or icecream but mainly no dessert at all because it's too darned
hot to add food to a stomach that then generates heat in the digestive
process.

I'll sometimes boil potatoes of an evening for potato salad the
following day. My potato salad is at least 50% celery, radish, green
onion, and pickles with the odd bit of lettuce lining the bowl which is
thrown in for the presentation. Desert is often fruit, and cheese.
Cooking during the day is out during the summer, but helps warm the
house during the winter.

Nad has just moved to the country, it may take awhile for him to find
the rhythm.

Our air conditioning (AC) is closing up in the morning, and then opening
up in the evening. We aren't total savages, we do have an attic fan.
--
- Billy
Obama is now backing a bipartisan Senate budget plan that would overhaul Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.