Old 23-07-2011, 08:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel[_2_] rbel[_2_] is offline

Default Identify plant photos

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 09:51:48 -0700 (PDT), johnbibby
wrote:

Does anyone know a gizmo that will identify plants from a photo?

Compared with other things that have been developed - e.g. to
distinguish between two twin brothers - distinguishing between plant
species seems rather easy, yet I cannot find any such thing referred
to on the web.

Posting a request on here with a link to a clear photograph on a site
such flickr seems to work quite well for most things.

Whilst there are some useful image libraries online and of course
Google, I am not aware of an image ID matching application. For wild
plants I have used this site for some years -
http://www.botanicalkeys.co.uk/flora/content/SEARCH.ASP - which
requires some thought and input but has proved quite useful.

rbel