Old 23-07-2011, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Breaking up clods

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 19:58:48 +0100, rbel wrote:

On Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:13:23 +0200, Timothy Murphy
wrote:

I want to put down some lawn turves,
but the ground is very "cloddy".
I've tried breaking up the clods with a fork,
and also stamping on them with boots on.
This was quite effective.

I also tried a light roller, but this had no effect.

I tried watering the patch,
and it was slightly easier to break up the clods after that.

But does anyone have a better way of dealing with cloddy soil?

Hire a rotovator for a day. HSS have a range of 3 from very light
duty to reasonably heavy duty. Local tool hire companies may do
something at cheaper rates.

A good idea to prepare the soil now; but you seem not to be in one of
the rainy areas, so I'd wait till it's less droughty. This will allow
the soil to settle nicely, and maybe let you knock out some more weeds
before the turf goes on: that'll give you a better lawn anyway.

--
Mike.