Old 24-07-2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default Mandevilla

On Jul 21, 7:22*pm, j wrote:
* *I was at the Home Despot and picked up a Sun Parasol Mandevilla. It
was big and $10.

* *Since I'm in Atlanta, 7b, and freezing temps are not uncommon, I'm
going to either bring it in or enjoy it for the season.

* *How far can you cut these back, and how much light will it need to
overwinter?

* *I suppose I need to build a trellis now. I wonder if I've just given
myself a problem I don't need!

* *Somehow, I got rid of all my honeysuckle, I didn't think that was
possible!

* *Jeff

There are several species of Mandevilla, some are tender and one is
hardy

M. boliviensis, M. splendens (aka Dipladenia), many hybrid
Mandevillas such as
Alice du Pont are quite tender and will not survive frost.

M. laxa, common name Chilean Jasmine is root hardy to about 5 F.

This comes from Sunset Western Garden Book.
I didn't see any info about 'Sun Parasol' but see if your tag says
(M. laxa)
it should be OK.

Emilie