Old 24-07-2011, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
MuddyMike MuddyMike is offline

Default Sheen flame gun

Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article ,
MuddyMike writes
We discussed these a while back, just had mine going to zap some.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RMe6bh-zW8
Only a phone video but shows it works.

Mike

Yes, they are good ! Some people seem to think you have to incinerate
the plants but actually passing the gun over them and moving on seems
to do the trick. Fabulous for clearing around the darker regions of
compost bins etc. in case rats come out!

Haven't used mine for about three years so it's probably stopped
working, not sure where you'd take it to get it serviced but getting
paraffin was unusually difficult too!

I run mine on heating oil. Paraffin is available in 5 litre cans from the
local hardware store but it more expensive than petrol despite all the tax
on petrol. This one hadn't been used for 10 years or more when I first got
it, just cleaned out the jet/nozzle and away it went.
I also play it on all the holes in the dry stone walls where the snails like
to hide.
Its greatest success was killing of some trees that had grown out of the
base of our garden wall. No matter what I did they kept sprouting new
growth, until I cooked them with the sheen.

Mike