Old 24-07-2011, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Peas - late sowing

On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 12:21:56 GMT, Baz wrote:

I have found a packet of peas that I forgot about. Hurst Greenschaft.
Is it too late to sow them now and get a late crop?

Thanks
Baz

Hi Baz

Some seed suppliers say this main crop variety can be sown in July
though I wouldn't sow after early June. Given that it takes up to 16
weeks to mature, you're looking at much less than ideal growing
conditions by mid November so you'd certainly need to give it some
protection as the autumn rains (on top of the summer rains) are going
to mean very wet soil which isn't ideal.

If the pack date's ok I'd keep them for next year.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk