Old 24-07-2011, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Breaking up clods

On Jul 24, 3:51*pm, Baz wrote:
Jake Nospam@invalid wrote :

I would rotovate but not use a *roller - if the soil is "cloddy" which
means heavy, rolling will simply pack it again; just use the usual
heeling routine. Digging (or rotovating) in a mix of sharp sand plus
larger grit will help. Then you've got August to watch for developing
weed seedlings and remove them before seeding in early September. With
the modern fast-germinating seeds, you'll have grass growing nicely by
October.

For so-called rolling of a lawn, the roller on the back of a lawn
mower will usually be heavy enough to run over each spring - just push
the handle down so only the roller is in contact with the ground.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Jake,
With respect to you, I have 'done' many many lawns over the years in both
light and clay soils.
We are talking clay soil here and cloddy?
A heavy roller is a MUST before and after seeding. This is to ensure an
even surface if that is required, and I think it is! Who needs sand?

Please don't think I am criticising your method or you.
Baz- Hide quoted text -

Sharp sand is gritty. Grass doesn't do well on heavy soils, anything
you can do to lighten it is good, saves on the spiking in years to
come.
You need lots of sand to make an appreciable difference.