Old 25-07-2011, 09:29 AM posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.gardening
sweetheart sweetheart is offline

Default Strimmer/Brush cutter. electric or petrol

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 07/24/2011 11:52 PM, Janet wrote:
With the shoulder harness that most petrol strimmers come with, weight
isn't really an issue.

But the twist or swing as you move the blade side to side, can be a
problem to sore back persons

That's very true. A truss is highly recommended for this sort of work,
I wouldn't consider doing without. And although the harness takes a lot
of the weight it's still hard work if you have a big machine, make no
mistake.

Re electric strimmers. I have a Flymo 600 contour. Its a heavy duty
strimmer. It is reasonably light and I use it for most garden tasks.
Sometimes the twin feed jams but otherwise it works well. I have a very
large garden. It does have difficulty going through very long grass when
grass is damp but you have to nibble away at it until its down enough to cut
through.

My OH has a stihl. Motor driven. Its a good machine like those being
described here but no good unless you are strong ( preferably male). It is
heavy and tiring despite what they tell you.