Old 25-07-2011, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
rbel[_2_] rbel[_2_] is offline

Default Ladybirds!

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:29:53 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

On Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:23:07 +0100, mogga
wrote:

We have a lot of ladybirds on our allotment site!

Can't do any weeding or digging without seeing them. (Yes I am moving
them out of the way!)

Mind you I saw three newts whilst digging some spuds up this week too!

Any suggestions for cheap ideas for ladybird overwintering places?

(Yes I am thinking of winter already! )

A decent wood pile will offer winter homes for ladybirds and a lot
more beneficial bugs, especially if, when building it, you add a pile
of leaf litter in the middle. The wood offers protection and the leaf
litter warmth.

I second this advice - log piles are marvelous residences for beetles,
bugs and even bees.

rbel