Old 26-07-2011, 10:00 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambucus View Post
The second one ( first picture!) is Caper Spurge - Euphorbia lathyrus

It's an annual or biennial which grows to 2 or 3 ft tall. It produces tiny yellow flower with a large blue/green calyx then seeds freely.

I't's mildly interesting and worth leaving if you have space - next years seedlings are easily hoed if you don't want them
I've never known it to flower in the first year. Where we are, it is biennial - flowers in the second year then dies, but down south I've heard people say it's perennial.

The tiny yellow flower is the male flower, and next two it two stalks appear, one with a tiny ball on it with a stigma attached. This is the female flower, from which the fruit develops. The other stalk grows to produce another cupped calyx and another pair of flowers - and so on ad infinitum.

The plant is related to the red-leaved poinsettia on sale at christmas

Beware of the sap - some people are sensitive to it.