Old 26-07-2011, 04:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Sprinkler question

Steve B wrote:
I just added on about six bubblers to three Orbit gear drive lawn
sprinklers. They have a 3/4" feed at about 50 psi. The three lawn
sprinklers now don't spray nearly as much. I took off the guts, and
the filters were not clogged. I turned down the bubblers so they are
just coming out a little. The other stations function properly.

Do you think I have a clog, or is that too many to put on one line? I can put
a pressure reducer on to that leg. But like I say, I
barely have the bubblers on, and don't think that's enough to drop
the performance of the lawn sprinklers by half.

I'm puzzled.

Help appreciated.

You don't have enough volume getting through to maintain pressure for the
increased flow. If your source is large enough, increasing the size of the pipe
feeding them would get them all to work together. Otherwise, split the bubblers
off into another "zone" if you want them to operate at higher volume.

I used 1" PVC for all the main pipes in my system.

Mixing different kinds of heads on one zone can be problematic, as can adding
heads to existing zones that may already be at their limits. Also, there may be
low flow and high flow heads of each sort available.