Old 26-07-2011, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Early plums

"David Rance" wrote..

mark wrote:

This weekend to my surprise I found that one of the plum trees carried
ripe
plums. These were all picked and sold at the gate this weekend. They sold
really quickly. Usually they are not ready until the wasps are out in
force,
so we got a good crop this time instead of the usual third to wasps,
third
to windfall.

Can anyone advise as to what this variety might be based on its
earliness.
Plums on the other tree are still green.

I don't think it matters what the variety is as all plums seem to be about
two to three weeks earlier this year. Normally my plums in Normandy ripen
during the first week of August but this year they were ripening last week
while I was over there. That means that, because I can't get back there
until the second week of August, I shall lose most of the crop this year!
:-(

I was picking ripe Mirabelles down near Moissac last week, back home I
notice our Cyclamen hederifolium are all flowering and some of our main crop
spuds are going over, and that is early in both cases.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK