Old 26-07-2011, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default rhubarb

In article , wrote:
'Mike' wrote:
AFAIAA the leaf stalks are safe to eat any time, whereas the leaves
aren't.

I have heard (on here, I think) that the later in the season, the less
unpoisonous they become.

Who eats the leaves?

One of the girls I used to work with, apparently her mum used to put them in
salads. Apparently she's also still alive. Go figure.

Some 50 years of evolution have adapted us to tolerating quite high
levels of some common plant toxins in our diet - provided that we
don't overdo it or do it too regularly, there isn't a problem.
Oxalic acid is one such, as we sorrel-lovers know well - as are
caffein and most tannins. Oh, and ethanol, as in overripe fruit :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.