Old 27-07-2011, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default You KNOW it's too darned hot when...

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"Nad R" wrote in message

My cucumbers are going like gang busters, soon the canning
equipment gets dragged out of the basement.

How do you 'can' them? ie what do you do to them before they go into
the container?

We mainly make sweet sliced cucumbers (bread n butter style) SWMBO
has a great simple recipe if you are interested.

Yes please. I don't necessarily promise to try it, but it's always
worth checking out any new techniques/ingredients etc, that may
improve on my current one.

Quick bread and Butter Cucumbers

1 cup = 250ml
20 cups washed and thin-sliced cucumber
4 tsp celery seed
2 tsp ground tumeric
2 tsp yellow mustard seed
6 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
2 cups good white vinegar

Mix sugar with cucumber allow to stand for an hour. Put spices and salt
into vinegar, bring to the boil turn off heat and allow to steep for an
hour. Add vinegar mix to cucumbers and bring to the boil, simmer for 10
minutes. Bottle hot in sterile jars, pushing down the fruit so it is
covered by liquid.

Could you ask her indoors if she has a good recipe for a zucchini
pickle while you are at it please?

The same recipe works for zucchinis

Thank you David.