Old 26-07-2011, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 4 plants

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:44:48 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

Hi

I'm new here, and I hope I can ask about the identity of 4 plants I've
found in garden, which might well turn out to be quite handy to keep,
depending what they are. Basically I'm looking for food bearing
species.

pointy red berries, which I suspect are toxic:
http://tinypic.com/r/29g2693/7

red berries with a roughish end, about quarter inch across - they
ripen red
http://tinypic.com/r/i3e2zb/7

tree with winged seed:
http://tinypic.com/r/1j9u1t/7

I suspect these may be some sort of gage, they have the crease on one
side only. I dont yet know what colour they ripen to. The small trees
are covered with them, not in bunches. Theyre about 3/4 - 1" long:
http://tinypic.com/r/4htf7b/7

thank you!

NT

1. One of the Nightshade (solanum) family, possibly Bittersweet,
solanum dulcamara. Poisonous.

Yes. Bittersweet.

2. Hawthorn (crataegus monogyna), aka May or Quickthorn. Some people
put the leaves in salads.

3. Sycamore (acer pseudoplatanus). Some regard it as a weed tree it
seeds itself around so freely.

4. Probably an unripe sloe, the fruit of the Blackthorn (Prunus
spinosa). Fruit will eventually ripen to a blue-black. Not poisonous,
but extremely bitter. You only ever bite into one; never a second!

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley