Old 27-07-2011, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default 4 plants

On 26/07/2011 22:50, wrote:
Chris wrote:
4. Probably an unripe sloe, the fruit of the Blackthorn (Prunus
spinosa). Fruit will eventually ripen to a blue-black. Not poisonous,
but extremely bitter. You only ever bite into one; never a second!

But goes very nicely with gin (and some sugar, and about a year ... which
reminds me, time to turn the bottles over)

But wait for the first frost before harvesting and prick the berries. It
goes through a stage of looking like pink paraffin but tastes
wonderfully aromatic when mature. I find it is better with slightly less
sugar than some of the published recipes. And just inverting the bottles
once every couple of months is enough mixing. YMMV

BTW I would pull up the sycamore or if it is already too big for that
douse it in glyphosate.

Regards,
Martin Brown