Old 27-07-2011, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default 4 plants

On 26/07/2011 22:54, Mike Lyle wrote:
(snip)

Sloes, I suspect -- the fruit of the blackthorn. Good for sloe gin and
a sort of ketchup my mother sometimes made. Even when fully ripe, and
nearly black, very sour and bitter:

I would not describe sloes as either sour or bitter. I would say they
are tannic or astringent, and one of the worst fruits of this sort
(along with unripe persimmons) that you would ever wish to avoid
tasting! After trying one, it feels as though someone has tried to dry
your mouth out with a bucketful of silica gel.

--

Jeff