Old 27-07-2011, 10:51 PM posted to aus.gardens
[email protected] rainman@mailinator.com is offline

Default Close to Spring

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 12:25:21 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I figured out how many weeks till Spring and how many tasks I had to do
in
the garden before the wqrmer weather comes. I'm pretty much on track.
You?

Spring starts on Thursday at my Sinney residence. That's my estimate as
to when my prunus
blieriana will start flowering. ;-)

For years I've checked up on a particular prunus on a road I travel
sometimes each winter. For about 30 years this particular tree has always
flowered at least 2 months before the warm weather arrives. I always look
out for it when I'm driving down that road and it never fails to cheer me up
when I see it in bloom.

Do you start planting when your prunus flowers or do you still ahve to wait
a few weeks?

Despite 1/9 supposedly being 'Spring',I know that there is no way I can
plant anything I please just because the date tells me it's spring - 1/10 is
more like the real time I can plant with any degree of certainty.

I've already started planting the veges. Tomatoes and carrots are in, possums are being
hunted down before other things go in.