Old 28-07-2011, 11:02 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold View Post
Will try digging a few inches down to see if the soil is damp(or not),and the leaves were darker green when they first appeared,they look sickly and have started to curl upwards.The tree is on my allotment and has some courgettes and toms planted around it,but nothing within a square foot and they are thriving.
If it was a container grown plant, and became rootbound, and you did not tease out the roots, it is very difficult for water to get into the rootball, and very difficult for roots to get out of the rootball into the surrounding soil to find water. Except for a few plants that hate their roots being interfered with, it is essential to tease out the roots of container grown plants when planting them out. Even knowing this, I've still had plants die on me because they remained rootbound because I didn't tease out the roots thoroughly enough.