Old 02-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Plants_Galore Plants_Galore is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmac View Post
Hello,

My boyfriend and I have just moved into our first flat and have a small courtyard. We have inherited a tall planter (approx 1 metre) which currently has a very uninteresting small bush growing from it. We would like to plant something new but I have no idea where to start. Something with a bit of colour and height would be ideal.

We are happy to plant now and wait for a couple of months or put a developed plant in.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the following:

A) how to remove existing plant?
b)What to put in its place (advice on looking after would be great)
c)any ideas for potted plant that are easy to maintain generally?

Sorry we are both completely new to gardening!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Congratulations on your new flat,

With regard to your planter, I would advise emptying your container and starting from scratch.

If you would like a Mediterranean feel to your courtyard you could plant a nice Cordyline, either a variegated or a nice red one. These are ideal in a planter. Another idea would be a buxus pyramid ( the topiary box bushes) These again are great in a planter and give a nice modern feel and just need clipping to keep their shape. Ideally they are evergreen.

Another nice plant is an Acer (Japanese Maple), you would need to fill your planter with an ericaeous soil. These are
very attractive but are deciduous ( lose their leaves in winter)

Camellias, rhododendrons, azaleas are all nice evergreen shrubs and you would benefit from a nice splash of colour in the spring/summer. Again these require ericaceous soil.

A flamingo tree, (salix hakuro nigashi) are lovely in tubs and would give you the height, you could then plant some perennials or bedding plants around the base of the plant.

I hope this gives you a few ideas!
You don't have to be Shrek to have green fingers!
For great advice and quality plants visit http://plantsgaloreonline.co.uk or call us on: 01279 792 321