Old 04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Laura, you may get differing opinions here but let me add my thoughts !!
Yes, I would use this hay around your trees but not to add nutrients, infact, to the contary, initially it will actually deplete the soil of some of its nutrients in order to break the hay down but personally, I think there are other benefits. Firstly, it will keep the weeds down around your trees and also tend to stop the soil drying out as much. The downside is that as the grass now has set seed, eventually you will get alot of new grass growing in that area ? but that maybe better than weeds ? The bulk of the material will quickly rot down, especially if we get rain !! The speed of this will depend on how your going to cut it as its waist high ??, the more its chopped up, the quicker it will compost ?
Lannerman.
We look after a Nature Park which has a wildflower meadow. We need to keep the fertility of the meadow low to reduce competition with the flowers, so have the same problem of getting rid of a huge pile of grass cuttings. We do the same as you are proposing - we dump it in the woodland, where it rots down and disappears.

If the woodland is sufficiently dense that grass isn't growing in it already, then you won't get grass from dumping your cuttings in there.