Old 29-07-2011, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Quickest growing trees to shield housing development

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 11:41:31 -0700, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

On 7/28/11 12:29 AM, Lisa GB wrote:
Hello I am new to this site and would really appreciate some help!

We live in a lovely conservation area and unfortunately a housing
development is going up at the end of our garden over the end of the
house. The house will be 2 storey with a pitched roof and one if going
to be looking directly into our garden (about 80 metres long and 20
metres wide).

The developers cut down all of the beautiful tall trees which gave us
totally privacy but now we feel completely exposed....

I know very little about trees but I would really appreciate anybody's
advice as to which are the best ones to plant to hopefully shield all
the new house which is going up as we speak and will be finished
sometime this year.

I'm not sure whether I should be buying small or large trees but I am
happy to pay more if it means I get the result I want quicker!!

Thanks so much

Yes, this question requires knowing where you are and what your climate
is.

In any case, the fastest trees generally also have problems. For
example, eucalyptus are very fast; but many are also very messy.
Poplars and their family are fast; they also tend to be shallow-rooted,
having surface roots with suckers that can create a thicket.

Ash trees grow quickly. As with gingkos and asparagus, there are female
and male ash trees. Female ash trees produce bucketsful of seed every
year, leading to many, many seedlings all over your garden. Male ash
trees produce pollen to which many people are allergic. Both have
surface roots.

Doesn't matter about what climate (a request for location had already
been requested upthread), because none of those trees you mentioned
make good privacy screens, in fact all being deciduous

Eucalypts are NOT deciduous.