Old 01-08-2011, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Okra being defoliated by bugs

Zootal wrote:
My okra plants are being eaten so badly by the bugs, they are becoming
defoliated, and I'm not sure I can get them to live long enough to
grow big enough to resist this onslaught.

I've used slug pellets to stop the slugs, and it does not seem to be
slugs. Slugs leave slime trails, and the pellets have never failed to
stop them before. I see no slime trails, nor dead slugs.

I've used Neem, which works with other plants the bugs find tasty,
but it does not help.

Out of desperation, I tried some sevin dust, and not even that seems
to stop the damage.

How can I protect these plants from whatever is eating them? I
thought it was slugs because of the big holes in the leaves, but i'm
not sure if it is just a lot of little bugs eating everything that is
there. What can I do to prevent these plants from being devoured?

First find out what it is. Have you checked for grubs or 28 spot
ladybeetle?

David