Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_5_] Zootal[_5_] is offline

Default Okra being defoliated by bugs

First find out what it is. Have you checked for grubs or 28 spot
ladybeetle?

David

When I look, there is never anything there. For all I know my dogs or cats
are munching on them...You would think that with that much damage, I would
at least see some signs of what is eating it. No ants, and we have ants
everywhere, but I've never seen ants on them. The damage is not what flea
beetles do - no small holes, but big chunks are gone. It looks like slug
damage, I've seen what slugs do to my cabbages and eggplants, but we don't
have enough slugs to do the damage I've been seeing, and there are no slime
trails, and the slugs have never yet made it past the slug pellets.

We have cucumber beetles here, but there are very few this year, certainly
not enough to do the damage I'm seeing.

We really don't have any other pests here - flea beetles and slugs do 99%
of the damage to my garden. Cucumber beetles - they hate Neem, and a good
spray of neem keeps them away. Flea beetles don't like Neem either.

Oh, and we have aphids, but there is no sign of aphids on them. The only
time aphids have ever done any damage is when they infested my brussel
sprouts several years ago.

We do have ladybeetles here, do they eat okra leaves??? No sign of grubs,
but not sure I'd recognize it if I saw it.

I'm going to keep a close eye on them for the next few days and see if I
can spot anything eating them.