Old 02-08-2011, 12:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_5_] Zootal[_5_] is offline

Default Okra being defoliated by bugs

Chris Thompson wrote in
. 3.70:

What's the time lag on introducing those biological controls?

Also, not that biological controls introduced into places where they
are not native can have disastrous side-effects. One need only look at
Cane Toads in Australia for a demonstration.

I admit I have not yet read the cites you provided. I am, however,
impressed they come from Ohio State and the NIH. They certainly are
going to contain worthwhile, pertinent info.

If it's going to take months or a year for the bio controls to get up
and running, do you have any suggestions for saving the plants he's
got growing _right now_? That would be cool and informative.

Chris

I am not at all opposed to biological/natural approaches. I eat the plants,
after all . That is why I prefer Neem, it is natural, quickly
biodegrades, and isn't actually poison - they flea beetles don't like the
smell and stay away. It works wonders on cukes and cabbages.

The patch I applied sevin to had only four plants in it, and is an isolated
patch away from the garden. I have about fifteen okra plants in a row that
I'm also trying to save, but is in the middle of the garden, and I won't
dump sevin in the middle of my garden - too many beneficial bugs would get
killed.