Old 02-08-2011, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Planter suggestions

"David E. Ross" wrote:

Chris Thompson wrote:

I just inherited a rectangular planter, about 3 feet by 16 inches by
16 inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on what to stick in
there. I live in Rockaway, NYC, close to the ocean, so salt might be
an issue. We do get hard freezes here. I would prefer some kind of
hardy perennial. Would some lilacs do OK in that size planter? I
don't know if they could take the winters. Thanks

Lilacs enjoy a cold winter.

I seriously doubt lilac will survive growing in a container, certainly
not freezing winters.

This is probably the most common container plant one finds in NYC:
http://www.learn2grow.com/plants/sed...tabile-carmen/

Will survive the salty air of the Rockaways with no problem.
They're easy to propagate, just put a bit into moist soil, even one
leaf will form a plant (most plants in NYC were started from a piece
glommed from a neighbor's). I have several growing in my flower beds,
they survive Catskill winters easily; -30ºF is common. On just about
every street in Brooklyn one finds this plant growing on a stoop inna
c-ment-a pot... even in pots filled with cigarette and guinea-stinker
butts they leaf out every spring... the less care the better they
thrive... I don't ever remember seeing anyone watering them. I'd
plant more but the deer and rabbits love them.