Old 02-08-2011, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Planter suggestions

Nad R wrote:

Lilacs do grow well in the frozen north. It is a large plant for pots. The
main reason for people wanting the plant is for the sweet oder the plant
produces. The best place for Lilacs are next to outside screened windows so
the nice scent can be sent through the home during summer. I wound not put
them next to a porch or patio where people sit because nice smelling plants
also attract all kinds of insects.

I've never seen lilac growing in a container, even the smaller types
grow too large, and I doubt they would survive a hard freeze out of
the ground. I planted a lilac bush this spring to help soften one of
my utility poles, this one:
http://www.naturehills.com/product/m...FM4Aod_ 0CQvA
I bought mine from a local nursery, a decent size but still has a lot
of growing to do:
http://i52.tinypic.com/907gbk.jpg