Old 03-08-2011, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Planter suggestions

On 8/2/11 5:33 PM, Boron Elgar wrote:
On Mon, 01 Aug 2011 14:42:15 -0500, Chris Thompson
wrote:

Hi all

I just inherited a rectangular planter, about 3 feet by 16 inches by 16
inches deep. I am looking for suggestions on what to stick in there. I live
in Rockaway, NYC, close to the ocean, so salt might be an issue. We do get
hard freezes here. I would prefer some kind of hardy perennial. Would some
lilacs do OK in that size planter? I don't know if they could take the
winters. Thanks

Chris

Put an evergreen azalea into it. I have grown them successfully here
in Northern NJ in tubs. They do well, will provide you with blossoms
in the spring and will be an easy to manage shrub the rest of the
year.

When I lived in Manhattan, I did not have your sea breezes, but did
all my terrace gardening in containers. I even had a large ginko for
years and years..

Best of luck.

Boron

I too had thought about azaleas. Since I'm not familiar with your
climate, however, I was not sure they would do well.

Your container is the right size for two. With careful watering and
feeding, it might even hold three. There are many great varieties. You
might consider 'Inga', which I found was a repeat bloomer that sometimes
bloomed not only in the spring but also once or twice in the summer. My
favorite is 'George Taber', which I have as an informal hedge in front
of my camellias; but it blooms only once a year.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean, see