Old 04-08-2011, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Health issues and how to maintain a garden

On 8/4/2011 1:24 PM, Bill who putters wrote:
Just wondering if any of you folks who liked to hands on deal with
the limits of hands off the physical stuff.
I hit it as I can but it not as hard as I'd like. Puttering seems to
be becoming more real.
Small tasks seem to grow in correlation with anemia and muscle loss
still the ticker is A OK.

I've got an old book, "Minimum Maintenance Gardening Handbook". Don't
know if it would help or is still in print. Advice is about what you
would expect.

Also, to me, machines are part of the answer. My lot slopes too much
for a riding mower but I have the best of self propelled. Now instead
of trimming I have gas and electric weed whackers. Clipping shears have
given way to electric ones.

Years ago I could shovel snow all day but now my back gives out and I
have a snow thrower.

Still have to watch it as a few weeks ago I used the chain saw to cut up
a large fallen limb for firewood and figuring since I was all dirty and
smelly, I might as well do some heavy weed whacking and I paid for it
with a sore back for a week.

Really heavy stuff, you need to hire someone. My toughest pruning job
in the fall is a line of overgrown junipers. This year, I'm calling in
my tree guy to come and remove them.