Old 05-08-2011, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Brooklyn1 Brooklyn1 is offline

Default Health issues and how to maintain a garden

On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 20:08:14 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Bill who putters" wrote in message

Just wondering if any of you folks who liked to hands on deal with
the limits of hands off the physical stuff.
I hit it as I can but it not as hard as I'd like. Puttering seems to
be becoming more real.
Small tasks seem to grow in correlation with anemia and muscle loss
still the ticker is A OK.

I don't have a lot of physical strength, but I'm often amazed at how much I
can achieve in the strength department if I use my head to think about how I
might do it - you know that old saying about 'give me a fulcrum and I can
move the world'. Now it's more like a trolley with wheels and a crowbar or
a truckies knot or ......

The other thing I don't have like I used to in my youth is stamina. I just
can't spend 8 hours working in the garden or I'[m too shattered to even
sleep that night if I try that caper. Pottering is what I do now and it's
amazing how 5 or 10 minutes here and there throughout the day all adds up to
achieving something.

I also don't worry if I either can't finish soemthing or it takes me weeks
to finish something. I also don't care if the garden is not up to others
standards, it's MY garden and I'll have it how I want it or how I can manage
it and 'get knotted' to any visitor who doesnt' approve of the odd weed or
rough bits round the edges

All good advice, and three mo
1. Refrain from instituting labor intensive maintenence projects.

2. Take advantage of appropriate weather conditions for outdoor
labor... do your high effort projects during early morning/late
afternoon, not in the heat of mid day.

3. Spend a bit more initially to do a job correctly; the cheap often
comes out expensive, both in money and labor.

Naturally it all comes down to thinking.