Old 08-08-2011, 08:31 AM posted to rec.gardens
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default Early spring likely in east Oz

songbird wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:

i used to consider it a sacrifice to beauty.
now i much prefer to not have them and since
the soil is so wrong for them in most of the
yard/gardens here i don't want to spend the
money or time on them again.

I dislike roses also. One needs an arsenal of chemicals to keep them
looking nice. The clippings do not compost well, need special gloves, just
not worth the extra work. I much prefer peonies to roses.

i was going to go out today and turn
under the bolting lettuces and stick in
some peas hoping to get some pods before
the frosts come.

How long have you got til first frost?

mid to late september, cutting it close
i think, but the cover will be good enough
anyways.

This late in the season, I would plant pumpkins, they can handle a frost or
two.
Winter squash may also work out well. Or more leaf lettuce or spinach.

i'm aware of some left over okra seeds at a
hardware store and was curious if they would be
viable enough in the second year to make a
offer to take them off their hands... i'm sure
some would sprout next year, but if most of
them wouldn't then it wouldn't be worth it as
i can just wait and get newer seeds next spring.

Of course he has left over okra seeds, okra does not typically grow well
here.
However...

I wish I had planted Okra this summer because it was so hot. Normally Okra
does not grow well in Michigan. The plant is stagnant when temperature
hangs around the 70's fahrenheit. Grows very well when the temperature hits
the 90's Fahrenheit. They are some northern varieties but still slow
growing. Takes about ten plants for just one meal because of the slow
growth during normal Michigan temps.

Last three days, the pickling Cucumbers are coming in and I have pickled
nine pints of Bread and Butter pickle slices and ten pints of dill pickle
spears. Frozen seven pounds of green beans. The rain is now coming and
going regularly and with the nice warm weather, looks like the corn and
tomatoes are starting to look real nice. Have no need for hand watering the
last three weeks.

For something new, I may try pickling the squash next week.