Old 28-07-2011, 11:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Nad R Nad R is offline

Default measureable rain

songbird wrote:
Nad R wrote:

The first good soaking rain since May. An all night slow rain. I can here
the sweet sound of thunder in the distance as I type this.

Big cracks also in my new soon to be garden area. It will take time to
transform the soil like the rest of the yard. My main lawn has no cracks in
it. Last year that section of land was a hay field. The newly planted grass
has already made it look good from a distance. But I will add compost and
grass seed to the area each fall. In four years it should look good.

i'm confused, are you transforming hay field
into garden or hay field into lawn? or lawn
into garden?

Turning a 1/4 acre Hay Field into a lawn/garden with raised beds this
summer.
Grass will be in between the raised beds, I have just two 4x24 ft raised
beds in it for now. Hope to have a dozen raised beds built over the years
in that area. Using perennial grass next to the beds in the hope it does
not spread by the stolen like Kentucky blue grass does. I use a mower
string trimmer that makes the trimming around the beds a lot easier.

have you ever tried growing romaine lettuce?

Every year I grow lettuce. This year the romaine had a HOT taste to it, the
neighbors also had the same results and ended up pulling it up. However, my
Butter Crunch lettuce tasted great this summer. So it was not a total loss
for leaf lettuce this summer.

The dog is back indoors and I think I will get more sleep in. Rainy days
are shopping days... I will take the dog to the groomer, go the gym, get a
hair cut, do a little clothes shopping, look for summer bargains. By then
my little Yorkie will be ready for pickup.