Old 28-07-2011, 12:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default I really hate bugs

On Wed, 27 Jul 2011 22:55:48 -0400, songbird
wrote:

Nad R wrote:
In a few more days you will begin to appreciate a bug called the "Wasp".
When you start seeing the poor green bug covered by white wasp eggs that
will hatch and slowly the wasp larvae will consume the Tomato Horn Worm
while it is still alive. Oh the horrors!

yes, leave those ones alone so the wasps can
do their thing. they may do more damage before
the wasps finish them off, but it's a small
sacrifice to make to keep the life cycle of
the wasp going. i've yet to see any worms
with wasps, but when i do i will be glad to
let them be.

I've only seen one tomato hornworm in about 10 years--- And it was
covered with wasp eggs! He/she managed to eat about 1/2 of a
branch of tomato before being consumed [from the inside] by the little
wasps. The dried out carcass remained on the end of that branch
for weeks. Made me smile every time I walked by.

Jim